How to Brew: Chemex
HOW TO BREW USING A CHEMEX:
This method works by the infusion process. We highly recommend using a kitchen scale to brew.
- Place folded Chemex filter inside the cone with the multiple folds toward the spout.
- Pour hot water through the filter to preheat the Chemex and remove any paper flavors. Drain water from brewer.
- Add 6 tablespoons (1 oz/6g) medium to coarse ground coffee to make 20 oz of finished coffee. Make sure the coffee is flat and level. If using scale, place chemex on scale and set tare weight.
- Bring water to a boil and let cool for 45 seconds.
- First, pour 2 oz(60g) water into cone by pouring a spiral motion to wet all grounds, and let coffee bloom.
- After 30 seconds, pour more water in spiral motion and saturate all grounds evenly bringing the water ¼ inch below the rim of the brewer.
- Once you can see an inch of dry coffee, continuing with more water around the rim and continue in an even spiral motion raising the water level to the rim. Keep pouring until you've made 20oz of finished coffee, or if using scale, 700g.
- After the water has passed through the filter, remove filter, pour coffee and enjoy.